|Home Location Tours Equipment Reservations FAQ email@example.com A Polar Holiday Exploring African Safari Boating And Wildlife Safaris Antarctic Cruise Aurora Expeditions Best Kayaking Places Combine a Beach Vacation in Mombasa Different Varieties of Wetsuits For Kayaking Exotic Beach Destinations for a Family Explore Indian Wildlife With India Wildlife Explore Kenyas Sun Drenched Explore the Activities And Attractions around Explore the Beauty and Get to Know Explore the Magnificent Attractions Explore the Specialties of Divine Explore the Wild Side Explore the Wildlife and Nature Explore the Wildlife of Norway Exploring the Bear Country of Alaska Exploring the National Park Service Website Exploring the Southern Coast of Menorca Exploring the Wildlife on a Polar Exploring the wildlife of Rajasthan Travel Fine Jewelry Practical Clothes Gujarat Tourism Explore the Vibrant State How to Plan a Safari India Tour Packages Explore Inflatable Kayak Reviews Hobbies KAYAK SAFARIS Northern Kenya Kayak Accessories Kayak Equipment for Enhanced Comfort Outdoors Kayak Fishing Equipment For a Safer Kayak accessories Safety equipments required Kayaking More Than an Adventure Kayaking Tips on Starting a Fulfilling Kayaks For Beginners Sports Kenya Honeymoon Safari Spots Kenya Safari Vacation Kenya and Tanzania Safari The Ultimate Learn Kayak Fishing Internet Spam Learn Kayaking For a Healthier Neoprene Gear For Your Paddling Styles For Sea Kayaking Paper Research Practical Clothes For Your Playa del Carmen A True Practical Clothes For Your Safari Riu Resorts Practical Clothes Romance on a Kenya Safari Safari Packages In The Beautiful Land Sea Kayaking 10 Historical Facts Sea Kayaking Expeditions Hobbies See More on a Kenya Safari Solar Charging For Kayak Canoe South America Travel Exploring Sydney Wildlife Exploring The Beautiful View Tanzanias Wild Life Safaris The Adventure of Kayaking Things to Do in Yala Travel Tips and Information About What Makes a Safari Experience What makes a safari experience in Namibia What to See and What|
Sea Kayaking 10 Historical Facts You Didnt KnowSea kayaking is fast gaining popularity along with the other outdoor adventure sports on the market. It is a venture that boasts a very rich history. Here are 10 interesting facts about sea kayaking and kayaks you might not have known.
1. The Eskimos started sea kayaking in the Arctic region over 4000 years ago. They built the first kayaks to enable swift and easy movement across water using little effort. By adapting to an environment of more water than land and little vegetation or land animals, the Eskimos used sea kayaks as a means of survival to hunt seals, whales and walrus for food, clothing, and shelter. Kayaks were built using animal skin stitched over frames made of wood or whale bones and waterproofed using animal lard.
2. In 1924, kayaking debuted as a demo sport in the Paris Olympics. After 12 years, it officially became an Olympic event in the 1936 Berlin Olympics as the first 10 class Canoe/Kayak Flat-water event.
3. The first solo circumnavigation of Australia via sea kayaking was achieved by Paul Caffyn in 1982. It took him 360 days to complete the expedition, encountering wild surf, cyclones and extreme forces of nature in a 9,420-mile travel. Caffyn's venture set the benchmark for contemporary kayaking expeditions.
4. It took 332 days for the first female to circumnavigate Australia in 2009 by sea kayaking. Freya Hoffmeister from Germany voyaged 13,000 km and finished the circumnavigation 28 days earlier than Paul Caffyn in 1982.
5. In 1980, Birgit Fischer was the youngest canoe winner in Olympic history at the age of 18. She accomplished a total of 12 Olympic medals by the age of 24.
6. Greg Barton was the first US Olympic gold medalist in the kayaking event in the 1988 games. At the time, he was also the only competitor to take home two gold medals for the event.
7. The first kayaking medal of Australia was won by Dennis Green and Wally Brown in the 1956 Melbourne Games. The duo won the bronze in the 10,000m kayak (K2), an event that failed to continue in the succeeding Olympic Games.
Sand Dollar Kayak Expeditions was ranked in the top 50 adventures to do in Africa by Jacques Mares in his book, Great African Adventure: A Guide to the Mother Continentís Ultimate Outdoor Adventures.